Did you know you can easily create custom hot-keys to get to your frequently used applications more quickly? To create a custom hot-key: simply browse to the shortcut of the program, right-click and select Properties. Under the Shortcut tab, in the Shortcut key box, enter your custom hot-key.
Create a hot-key for Notepad…
- Go to Windows Search and enter “Notepad”. When Windows finds the application, right-click on it and select “Open file location”.
- At the file location, right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
- Under the Shortcut tab, place your cursor in the “Shortcut key” box and hit the CTRL key, the ALT key and then the letter n.
- Click OK to close the properties box.
- Test it out! Hit the combination of keys in order (CTRL + ALT + n) and the Notepad application will open.
Going forward, whenever you want to open Notepad, instead of searching for it you can simply use your newly created hot-key!
Director of Support Services
Center for Computer Resources, LLC